Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

So Much to Catch Up On!

After my last post I was intently getting ready for our annual family vacation in the wonderful Georgia mountains to our family lake house at Tate, then we went on the vacation, spent a week recovering from it, and am now ready to finally share about it before diving headlong into preparing for our trip to Ireland!
The main this about Connor I haven't talked about if how many words he can say!  The week before we went to Tate, he started saying "puppy" and "ball."  He had been saying "dada" for a while, but now it is very clear and consistent.  While at Tate he copied a lot of words that people were saying and picked up a couple more consistent ones.  He calls fun activities "whee."  He would let us know he wanted to go on the swings at the dock at Tate by saying "whee" but since coming home he has added going in our kiddie pool and playing with his baby vehicles/ride toys as whee-worthy activities.  He also will say "rock" when prompted, but he mostly calls them "ball."  

He will also sometimes sign "all done" (I thought that was a steady one but apparently it degraded)  and "more."  With how hot it is, he is constantly signing "milk" to me.  I've been nervous about him getting dehydrated, because although he can use a sippy cup with a straw, he doesn't really get it.  So I remain the sole source of liquid for him.  He is starting to eat a few more solids, but I think he still thinks it's just fun and doesn't associate food with being full or hunger.  We'll get there eventually, I'm sure!  I keep expecting there to be one day where he just gets it, like with sleeping on his own.  We'll see how it happens (soon, I hope).

Speaking of sleep, the week before we went to Tate, Connor was either not taking a second nap, or fighting it really hard.  He was also waking up at 5 in the morning.  Typically a baby will drop down to one nap around Connor's age, or a little later, but it's the morning nap. Connor was trying to drop his afternoon nap and it was really messing us up.  Since I knew everything would be topsy-turvy at Tate anyhow, especially since Connor would be sharing a room with us, we decided to keep him up until mid day and try to establish one solid mid day nap.  While at Tate, this was hard since Connor was in an unfamiliar place.  He was sleep from 6-6, which was great, but only taking about a 45 minute nap in the middle of the day.  Since we've gotten home, however, things have been working out really well.  He's been sleeping from about 6:30-6:30 and taking a 2-3 hour nap starting around 11.  It's really wonderful.  I feel like I have enough time to relax and get things done without him following me around or asking for milk and he is SO much happier.


I always suspected that Connor loved water, which is why we got him a water table for his birthday, but being at Tate confirmed it.  The kid loves being in the water.  When we got home, we found the same pool as the one my brother Parks has on sale at Target so we got it and set it up in the backyard.  Best $20 ever spent.  Connor totally loves it, and I've actually been able to take him outside, despite the 110+ degree weather, because we can get in the pool.  I've even been able to enjoy it myself at night, with a book and a glass of wine.

Next week, our friend Leslie and her daughter Ella are going to come stay with us for 4-5 days.  Ella is 5 months older than Connor and they are like two little Aryan peas in a pod.  Connor learned how to walk from Ella, and he taught her how to climb out of the bath.  I'm sure they will be making trouble together for years to come.  After that visit, we will be gearing up for our trip to Ireland!  It's definitely going to be shocking since their highs right now are lower than our lows and it has been raining for a month straight.  We're going to have to buy Connor and me rain jackets!  While I'm excited for Ireland, it also makes me really nervous!  I would appreciate your prays, especially for good senses on humor and that we would be minimally affected by jet lag!

No comments:

Post a Comment