Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 21, 2013

Grandaddy's Funeral

On Tuesday, September 24th, my sister Sarah called me to say that my grandfather, Erwin David Latimer III, who was almost 90, passed away that morning.  He had been living the past 5 years in medical assisted living facility after his major stroke, just 3 days after Patrick's and my wedding in 2008.  He was in hospice care and the last months of his life was largely unresponsive and slept 20 hours a day.  The last time I saw him was at Easter this year and I regret not going to see him more, but it has always been complicated being pregnant with a toddler.  We are all sad, but relieved that he was able to leave his broken body to be whole again in heaven.  

I was happy to have the occasion to see my brothers and sister and nieces and nephew on a non-scheduled trip.  I was really happy they were able to meet Eamon, even though an one month old is kind of boring.
Sweet Arthur, who was sadly sick on this trip.
Lillian and Lily Kate playing with Louie.
Charlotte and Arthur.
Lillian holding Eamon.
I love his face in this one.
Sani and LK admiring my boy.
Connor loves the piano.
He looks likes he knows what he's doing!
Eamon loves Sassy as much as Connor does.
Myers and Granmar.
Will and Arthur
The funeral was held on Saturday.  A lot of people, including an enormous amount of family, came to help us celebrate Grandaddy's life.  I was really happy to see my cousins, but as always, wished that I wasn't so distracted.  When I was in high school and my cousins were together, I was caught up in myself and our conflicting ideas of fun (to put it euphemistically).  Now, I got littles that need me, a LOT.
Jordan, Mitchell, and Henry.
Pictures from Grandaddy's life.
Patrick and Eamon talking to Leslie.
We took the opportunity of all of us being together to take some group shots.
Some Winship cousins. Winship Cooley, JudyMongold,
Tommy May, George Mongold, and Eddie Latimer.
Latimer cousins.  All of us were there except Ann Laurel (and Winship and Marie).
Parks, Hugh Latimer, Erin Latimer, Lynley Latimer, Mitchell Latimer, Sarah, Henry,
Lane Latimer, Will, Myers, David Latimer, Steve Prentiss, Hayley Prentiss Varner,
Aly Varner, me, Eamon, Jordan Prentiss, and Morgan Varner.
Latimer cousins with significant others and the great-grandchildren.
Winship Cousins.  Eddie Latimer, Graham Prentiss, Charles Hankey, Pemberton Cooley,
Mom, Frank Latimer, Peg May, Joe Mongold, George Mongold, Lane Ackerman,
Winship Cooley, Uncle Dan Hankey, Nell Hankey, Danny Hankey, Martha Krabbendam.
Winship and Latimer cousins, with their spouses. 
Latimer cousins.  Graham Prentiss, Eileen Wallace, John Latimer,  Mary Schultz
Celia Ochs, Shelby Owen, Mom, Frank Latimer, and Eddie Latimer.
Laura and Granmar.
Sunday, my brothers left with their families.  Patrick, Sarah, and I took the 2 boys to the aquarium and the Chattanooga Market.
Eamon liked the jellyfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment