Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

99 Days...

This morning, Becca and I went to see the pediatric cardiologist to check on our son's yet-forming heart. We did this because our niece Gwenyth had a rare heart defect called truncus arteriosis, and we just wanted to be sure that we did not pass on this or any related condition to our little one.

The doctor was very abrupt although not unkind. He barely said a word to me other than to give me directions ("Shut the door. Turn the light off. Turn the light back on."). He spoke a little more to Becca, and the gist of it was that he thought it was a little bit of a stretch for us to think our son would have truncus just because his cousin had it.

We sat down for the fetal echo cardiogram, which was pretty cool. When the heart beats, there are blue and red flashes overlaying the heart. I assume that these represented the different chambers of the heart. Bottom line: the doctor said that he can never guarantee that a heart is perfectly formed before the baby is born, but he did not see anything in the way of structure (chambers, vessels, valves) that was concerning to him. Good news!

I cannot think of a good photo to put in this post... so how about the SleepSack that Becca bought from kids.woot yesterday?
By the way, the subject there, 99 days, is the countdown to the due date. He'll be here before we know it!

1 comment:

  1. "Abrupt although not unkind." People like that kind of intimidate me. That's how our loan guy was at the bank when we bought our house. But then I thought it was a good thing, because I knew if he had bad or uncomfortable news, he'd have no problem sharing it. So in the end I decided I was happier to have someone abrupt rather than someone who would sugarcoat everything for me. I'm glad the little guy is doing well! I can't wait to meet him (and see you guys, too)!

    ReplyDelete